Sunday, January 6, 2008

Racing for the Desert

Update and Fund Raising Message of January 6, 2008

Hi again, with one last Team in Training pre-race update. Even if you don't read this whole note, please at least look at the honoree names.

Usually, I am racing for the dessert but at the end of this week I'll be on an airplane racing for the desert. And in exactly one week and a couple of hours, I'll be racing in the desert in the PF Chang's Arizona Rock 'N' Roll Marathon, 26.2 miles of desert fun in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe. I am involved in this endeavor, which may seem somewhat masochistic, for a number of reasons. The primary one is to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and on that front, the generosity of many people has really come through with donations of $10,750.01 to date. A few of my other reasons for wanting to race (or at least plod) 26.2 miles with TNT on January 13 are to give back for what I received to survive lymphoma and to celebrate five years in remission, reached about a month ago.

But I also do this to maybe give a little hope and encouragement to those suffering from cancer. I was once as sick as many of them are, and now I am healthy enough and strong enough to do a marathon. I know personally a number of people going through cancer right now, including my sister, Ann. And I know indirectly of many more. It is a tough fight, far tougher than a marathon, against a foe that is remoreless and relentless, that never sleeps, never takes a break. But it can be defeated, as I and millions of others can attest. So if you know someone with cancer, tell them to stay strong and positive - it is my fervant hope that they will all be healthy again in the near future, even if they don't want to do a marathon.

There are a few of you who told me that you would like to donate later. Well, if you are one of these folks, later is now. So if you want to donate, or just check out my latest updates, photo, and honoree list, here again is the link to my Team in Training web page:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntva/tntvaARitter2007

On my web page, you can see the names of honorees scroll by. These are the names of people who have had cancer, have it now, or have died as a result of cancer. Most of these names come from people who have made donations, and who want to honor a specific person or persons with that donation. A number of others are people I know that I want to personally honor with my efforts. Since they are really what this whole thing is about, I am listing all their names here so that you can see them without them scrolling by. During this week, I will write these names on my Arizona race shirt, and on the morning of the race I will read them all again to myself as I try to think what they have all been through:

IN MEMORY OF: Allan Bernstein, Bob Caggiano, Debbie Hoysa, Joe Boisvert, Ellen Heim, Martha Anne Roberson, Ron Mason, Virginia Forth, Kristin Kalinke, Susan Lord, Julius (Fred) Dalley, Gerald (Jerry) Eastey, Marjorie Smith, Robert Smith, James Vaught, Earl Gowell, Joe Feely, Dr. Kurtis Hess, Rizalino A. Dilag Sr., Rudy Angerman, Linda Cox, Mark Smith, Kelly Bazemore, Mark Duva, Paul Torrice, Larry Burger, Janel Tara Pustilnik, Len Smith, Phyllis Moyer, Wilfred Thibeau, Camilla Stull

IN HONOR OF: Ann Ritter, Christine Grudinskas, Dick Dreselly, Ed Stone, Emma McFeely, Eric Lamp, Janice Wedwick, Jane Koehler, Kristen O'Brien, Kristi Garstang, Leroy Sievers, Marguerite Campoli, Mary Beth Gibson, Meg Brown, Nicki Patton, Paul Zamecnik, Susan Lawson, Tommy West, Carole Austelle, Wendy Wright, Loretta Hamann, Bob Banko, Jackie Connors, Barbara Gooby, Pat McAuliffe, Grace Oughton, Joseph Livingston, Marilyn Libman, Madison Chamberlain, Doug Barnett, Rachel Cox, Gerry Adamson, Barbara Adamson, John Hammel, Lillian Kerby, Lorna Noble, Walker Hutchins, Kittie Jackson Edwards, Wayne Gutmann, Kaley Grace Shoemaker, Teresa Burton, Kim Hill, Larry Stewart

If you will, think of me and my Teammates in Arizona and Florida on the 13th and say a little prayer or send us good karma. Thanks again for supporting me in so many ways during my "Celebrating Five Years Cancer Kickin' Campaign" for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Best wishes,
Art

No comments: