Sunday, January 20, 2008

O Canada!

There is something special about Canadians.

We always want to start a marathon well hydrated, and I did. So well hydrated that about 25 minutes before the start of the race, I had to make a quick visit to a porta-potty. As you can see from the photo, the lines were outrageous, but it was either go there or try to find one early in the race course, so I opted for the former. The line crept along, getting closer and closer to the start time. There were only minutes to go and I realized I was going to miss the start of the race unless I abandoned my quest, as there were still at least 20 people in front of me and the two people just behind me who were also doing the full marathon. We were all stressing a bit.

Just when things looked bleak, a lady at the very front of the line looked down the line and called out "Who is doing the full marathon? If you are, cut in front of us." The half marathon was not going to start for another hour, and she was kindly willing to let us in. The three of us practically sprinted down to the front. She and her two friends were from British Columbia. We chatted for a minute, then the "Star Spangled Banner" began to play. At the end of the USA National Anthem, I sang the opening few words to the Canadian National Anthem: "O Canada! Our home and native land ..." We thanked them profusely for their thoughtfulness. If I had gotten in any other line, I suppose I would have missed the start of the race.

After quickly clearing the porta potty, I sprinted to the very back of the marathon start line seconds before the gun. I think I will always remember these three kind ladies from our Great Neighbor to the North. O Canada!

No comments: