Monday, December 10, 2007

Five Years Remission!

December 10, 2007. Yesterday was my five year cancer remission date! Woo Hoo! I wrote a lot more about five years remission on my previous post, “Mission Moment”, so I won’t bore you with more about that. I will just say how grateful I am to have made it to this time, and for how much I have done in the past five years. Thank you, God!

At training on Saturday, I celebrated by walking 20 miles. Afterwards, my teammates treated me to a B&B - balloons and bagels! Of course, the balloons were purple and green, the Team in Training colors, and there were five of them. It was a lot of fun - what a great bunch of folks they are! Unfortunately, my camera was not available so I didn’t get to record the moment. It is in my mind, though.The bad news is that the 20 miles on concrete pavement has led to bursitis in my right hip, which is incredibly painful. Training on the road is not in the cards for at least a few days, but a trip to an orthopedist is. The timing of an injury is not great with the marathon less than five weeks away, but it is what it is. Injuries, minor and not, are just part of marathon training. It is difficult to avoid them entirely, although we try.

Photo for this post:


These feet have gone thousands of miles since August, and on January 13 will collectively go a couple hundred more. One of our mottos is "Changing lives one mile at a time" because as we work individually and as a team to raise money for LLS and get in shape for a marathon, we are indeed changing lives - those of people who have or will have cancers, and our own as well.

No comments: