Saturday, December 22, 2007

Slowing down for my Hip

December 22, 2007. I missed a week of training due to the hip injury, which was painful enough that walking at any speed was out of the question. A cortisone shot made all the difference in the world, and I am back into training, with slightly reduced miles. For example, I only did about 15.5 miles yesterday instead of the 20 that was on the schedule. With only three weeks to go to race day, it is more important to not injure myself again than it is to train every mile. I have worked really hard to get ready for this race, and don't want to miss it. So over the next few weeks, as we enter our "taper" period, I will be doing some exercises to strengthen the adductor muscles. If need be, I will slow down a little for the race. Right now, my goals are to finish in any time and to not hurt myself again.

I keep telling myself that it is not my time in the marathon that counts, but my time at the marathon. It would be different if I were a world class marathoner or even trying for Boston, but that is most assuredly not the case.

No comments: