Friday, August 30, 2013

Mid-Week Training

During Team in Training, our longest mileage day is scheduled for Saturday, but we are supposed to do at least three other runs or walks during the week, plus a day of cross training.  These, for a half marathon, are typically 3-6 miles each.  And I have had a really hard time keeping up with them.  I've been trying to figure out why.

With my nine hour work day, I would have to get up about 4:30 to walk 4 miles before work.  In the past, I was able to do that, sometimes even being out at 3:45AM to get out and do 10 miles.  Not this year.  I've done very few early morning walks.  It just feels too early.  So I've relied on workouts after work, and that can be tough, too.  I've been inconsistent at best.  But I did get in 4 miles after work yesterday, then went to water aerobics for an hour.  I tried running yesterday, but unlike Saturday, when it felt pretty good, yesterday, I got a shot of pain in my left knee every time that foot landed.  And I thought, "Even for a guy, this is stupid.  The world will not come to an end if I have to walk the Crawlin' Crab and if it takes me longer than three hours."  So, I stopped running after a couple of hundred feet, and walked.  My route went by a high school and I timed myself walking a quarter mile on their track.  It took three minutes and 35 seconds, which translates to a 14:20 pace to walk a mile.  Not slow, by any means, but much too slow to walk 13.1 miles in under three hours.  Ah well!  Tomorrow will be a good test, with an 11 mile walk on the schedule.

I have today off and had hoped to hike the Rip Rap Hollow Trail, a moderately tough 9.6 mile hike with lots of elevation.  But it was not meant to be.  As fate had it, I needed to be at home for an electrical inspection, then I ended up with errands to do.  So no hike for me today, but I will shortly go to the gym and the pool.  I need to do upper body workouts more often, and a soak in the pool will do me good.  I may do a half hour of elliptical, too.  This is supposed to be a rest day, but some cross-training counts.  And with a long morning of training tomorrow, maybe it is best that I didn't get to hike today.

No comments: