Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Energizer Bunny

On Saturday May 10, 2008, I did the Susan G. Komen for the Cure 5K in Richmond. It was a lot of fun. Dig my pink bunny ears, a reminder to keep going and going and going, just like cancer patients must do every single day.




I wore the ears for the whole race. Now you have to be pretty sure about your masculinity to wear pink bunny ears in public for 3.1 miles! Where I grew up near Philadelphia, I guarantee that this would not have been a great thing to try.

I raised $625 for Komen, trying not to bug the same people who I pester each year for Team in Training. That was really great, but the biggest thing was to do this race to show support for my sister Ann and my step-mother Rhoda – both currently undergoing breast cancer treatments – and my sister-in-law Christine, a 19 year breast cancer survivor (and 16 year ovarian cancer survivor). And at the same time, show some support for the other dozen or so women I know who have dealt with breast cancer. I printed up pictures of Ann, Rhoda, and Christine and pinned them to my race jersey:



On my purple TNT race shirt were dozens of names I had written on it for the Arizona marathon. Each name represented a person who battled cancer. As always, it was my honor to wear these names.

I was going to be a 6 year lymphoma survivor in a couple of weeks from the race, so doing a race in May – my diagnosis month – to support those with cancer also felt very appropriate.

It was a festive event, lots of teams (my favorite team name was “Save the Ta-Ta’s”) and plenty of breast cancer survivors in pink shirts – very inspirational to see them out there.

I’ll be doing Team in Training again, and preparing for another marathon soon enough, so it felt good to just to run/walk a little 5K with no fund-raising pressure!

2 comments:

Happyone said...

I like your pink bunny ears!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your BLOG and all the news and pics in one place. Hope you are staying cool this summer and prayers for your sister. See you on the route one day.

Liz