Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shake and Bake

Well, I don't know about the shake part, but I got the bake down pat. After finally walking this past weekend, nearly five miles Saturday and four Sunday, my foot didn't hurt too much worse. I've walked a little during the week, and today, I met my friend Lelia for the first time since my plantar fasciitis developed. We walked about 3.25 miles at a steady but not too fast pace, maybe about a 17 or 18 minute mile.

It was hotter than hell. I was soaked in sweat just walking the five blocks from my office to my car to meet Lelia. I had a bottle of ice with me to walk with, and it all melted in less than 30 minutes. I am guessing that the temperature was high 90's with lots of humidity. It was miserable but Lelia told me that it got to 125 F in her husband's place of work yesterday, so it made our hour of walking in the heat pretty tame.

I don't see the plantar fasciitis going away any time soon. I've done everything I've been asked to do, and it just stubbornly hangs in there. Maybe by walking slowly and just reconcilling that my foot will hurt, perhaps a lot, I can get through the 60 mile walk, which starts in two months and two days. At any rate, I am going to have to try to walk more and more and see where it goes. They say to train in all kinds of weather, not just the nice days, and today was a good example of that!

2 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

The heat should have taken your mind off the foot! LOL

o2bhiking said...

If heat would heal plantar fasciitis, I'd be good to go, Coach!