Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Price of Admission

There is no way to do a long distance event like a marathon or a three day walk or an extreme distance event without some pain, suffering, and fatigue. It is part of the price of admission. Anyone who participates in these accepts this fact.

I have done everything I can think of over the past three-four months to heal my heel. And it has improved a great deal. But there is no way it is going to be healed by the time the Komen 3-Day takes place in ten days. It just isn't happening. I told the doctor yesterday was he was working on my foot that I decided that some pain from my left heel is just going to be part of the price of admission for the honor of participating in the 3-Day. It is just how it is. He agreed, saying that I've come a long way in the three months he has treated me, but that plantar fasciitis can be very stubborn. It is a hard thing to completely heal in this amount of time even if one is being sedentary. While I have not walked as much as I had hoped for, neither have I been remotely close to sedentary.

So, 10 days to go. Some heel pain - a fair amount at times. There is no getting around it. I guess I will try to take it a little easy for a while after the event. No more 10-15 mile walks for a while. But in the next 13 days, I will give it all I can and accept the ticket price.

No comments: