Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two Things We Can All Agree On

At least, I hope we can.

I got an email from Lance Armstrong’s Livestrong Organization a couple of days ago. His assertion is that no matter what side, or sides, of the health care / health insurance debate – ever raucous and impolite – you are on, every American should be able to agree on the two following premises:

1. No American should be denied health insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

2. No American should lose their insurance due to changes in health or employment.

As Lance asks: “Will you sign the LIVESTRONG Action petition to make sure any legislation includes these two critically important reforms? We’ll deliver these to Capitol Hill this month as the debate reaches its climax and make sure our voices are heard in the debate:"

http://www.livestrongaction.org/campaigns/healthcare

Lance Armstrong knows a lot about this first hand. Here is what he had to say about it: "When I received my diagnosis, I was between cycling contracts. My new insurer used the diagnosis as a reason to deny coverage after the new contract was signed. Fortunately, one of my sponsors intervened. At their insistence, I was added to their insurance company and was able to continue my life-saving treatment. If my sponsor, a powerful company, had not gone to bat for me, I may not have made it."

"I was lucky. We can't rely on luck to ensure coverage and treatment for the millions of Americans affected by cancer. Some cannot get coverage because they've already been diagnosed. Others get calls from their insurance companies saying they have been dropped. It happens all the time—and it's unacceptable.
"

I plan on signing this and passing it on to friends and family. I hope that you will as well. There is no way that we can all agree on everything. But maybe we can all agree on these two things, and make our voices heard.

No comments: