Monday, June 30, 2008

To My Teammates

Every time I've done TNT, I have just tremendous teammates. I guess in part it is the nature of the cause. As Chuck says "Mean people don't tend to do Team in Training."

I've mentioned some of my mates in prior posts: Chuck, Suzanne, Theresa, and Robbi for example. So I won't go into a lot of detail now about any one individual. Here are Theresa, Robbi, and Suzanne once again - what great teammates they are:



While I was doing the Arizona marathon, three teammates were doing the full Disney marathon in Orlando. For each of them, it was their first full marathon. I had called Robbi and Theresa the morning of my race, and they were out on their race course, and doing fine. Not only did their race start very early, but the time difference meant that they were finished well before me. I was thrilled to learn from Michal that they both finished and became marathoners, as did Paul. I was so proud of them! A fouth teammate, whose name unfortunately escapes me, not only did the full marathon in Disney but the half the day before, earning for him the coveted "Goofy Medal".

In Arizona, other than Chuck and Theresa, Rachel and JoanE from Richmond were doing their first marathon. Alan and Joel were repeaters, and Jeanine ran a half marathon while in the middle of cancer treatments - which is just incredible, believe me. When I was on chemo I don't think I could have even crawled a half marathon, in fact I know I couldn't have.

I know I am overlooking a few people, not to mention the many people from Hampton Roads and Charlottesville. A couple of the latter were also first time half marathoners: Larken was there with her dad - how proud he must have been of her - and Briana, a lymphoma survivor, who seemed like a very impressive young lady. Then there was Mike and Sandy from Hampton Roads, who are doing all of the Elite Racing Events together. Mike also had a "Goofy Award" under his belt. And Kristi was one of the mentors from that same part of the state.

So whether I mentioned them or not, they were all a big part of a great team experience all season and in Arizona. The Purple People are an amazing bunch. To all of them, I say Thanks, and GO TEAM!!!

Here are some team pictures from the Team Pasta Party:




2 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Art,
Great blog! So happy to hear about your recovery.... You are an inspiration!
Anne

o2bhiking said...

Hi Anne - thanks for your comment. Believe, me I am glad to still be walking on God's green earth! I was hiking Sunday in Sherandoah National Park, one of my favorite hikes there, and it just was great to be alive, healthy, and strong enough to do such a hike. Keep blogging!
Art